Me!

Me!
Another Nice Carp

Saturday 17 September 2011

Westwood Lakes, Lincolnshire- Family Holiday

Family holidays at Westwood Lakes, Lincolnshire and this was chosen because
  • Wanted holiday on the east coast
  • family wanted a lodge with a hot tub
  • I wanted a fishing lake on site. This place had four.
  • The reviews on Trip Adviser were all great.
We set off on the Saturday 27th August for our hols and it meant I was missing my "money water," Coppell Mill Pond were I always either come first or second (Sharpy won by the way with an excellent 22lbs, well done pal).
When we arrived I must say we were impressed with the lodges, my wife loved the hot tub and I took a walk round the lakes and was well impressed.
Our Lodge
Our lodge was on Skylark Lake and it was Wednesday by the time I got to fish it. It's the main match lake and there are several opens a week on it which your welcome to fish if you fancy taken on the locals. I set up on the nearest peg 21 which is at the end of the island and looked a flyer. The lake itself is a goodsize lake and is 13 metres across to a central island and looks very fair on all pegs.
Peg 21 Skylark Lake, Westwood Lakes
I had bought two pints of maggots from the excellent on site tackle shop on the recomendation of one of the open match lads and had also bought a bag of micros (you have to use their feed pellets). I set up a pellet rig for just off the island in about 18 inches of water and a pellet rig for the margins (which was only 12 inches). I also set up a maggot rig for about six metres out which was about five foot deep. Both the pellet rigs were 0.14 line to a PR16s hook with the maggot rig 0.13 to a 18s PR36 hook. Before I wet a line though I also set up a short pole on peg 22 for my future son in law Gareth who had never been coarse fishing before.
Gareth Getting A Few!
After setting Gareth up I cupped in half a Drennan Pot of micros and went straight across with a 4mm expander on the hook. I was into fish straight away. I was getting mainly carp with a spinkling of tench and barbel. I was feeding a small toss pot of micros after every fish and the biggest problem I had was foulhooking fish due to the amount in front of me. I switched to the maggot rig to give the far line a rest and carried on catching but the fish were a lot smaller on average. I also tried the margins but could not hold the fish due to the water being so shallow and me being a numpty!
Back across and it was a fish a chuck for the rest of the day, nothing massive the biggest about 4lb and with a few largers being brought to my peg by the family it was a cracking days sport and even Gareth caught a few. I finished the day in the hot tub. Bliss!
I had a evening session two days later on the same peg and the sport was exactly the same. Another cracking session.
Westwood lakes is just on the outskirts of Boston and if you looking for a peacefull holiday with a bit of fishing and top class accommodation I can thoroughly reckomend it. Oh and on site cafe not bad too. Try the 16 ounce T bone with all the trimmings mmm.

Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment